Sunday, December 12, 2010

Remembering Christmas...

"Oh Holy Night" used to be my favorite Christmas song ever. When I was little--like still sending letters to the North Pole little--I would stop everything to hear this song during the Christmas season. I heard it tonight for the first time of this holiday season, and for a second, I remembered what it felt like to count down the days 'til Christmas and wonder if Santa would leave me a little something extra this year for being "extra nice." (And also hoping he'd forgive me for the several hundred fights I'd been in with my sister and for the times I told my little brother he was adopted).

The gifting was very exciting for me as a child, no doubt, but it really was more than that. The Christmas season was full of magic. There were a lot of times when it didn't feel like anything really "special" was going on in my life or in the lives of those around me, but during the Christmas season, everything was amazing and I was reminded of the special reason we have this holiday to begin with, and that He was around during all the not-so-special times too.

Businesses and individuals displayed beautiful Christmas trees, lights and Santa and sleigh scenes in the yard (I was a kid--don't judge me for enjoying that!), delicious once-a-year party foods were accessible (like fruit cake, which I realize I'm probably one of about 10 people in the entire world who actually love it!), people are nicer and despite all the hardship the rest of the year may have brought, all seems to be right at the end of the year when Christmas comes.

I was raised in a Christian home, so I always knew we celebrated Christmas as the birth of Christ and I think maybe that's why I liked the song "Oh Holy Night" so much. One of my favorite Christmas memories ever was when I was in elementary school and my older sister was going to be in a pageant. It was around Christmas, so after we went to the mall to look for her outfit, our mom and step dad took us to get happy meals from McDonald's and then took us to see Christmas lights. I don't remember why--maybe we were just at a traffic stand still--but we drove up to this nativity scene and sat there for a while and "Oh Holy Night" was playing and I had this happy meal and my heart had never been so full of joy in my life because it seemed like everything in the world was perfect at that moment, and after that, every time I heard the song, I could just picture Jesus in the manger, like in the nativity scene, and I imagined what a beautiful moment that must have been.

And even now, I think there's something very symbolic about the "Christmas magic" that spreads to everyone this time of year, but I also think there's something very intentional and beautiful about it. A savior was delivered to us when Christ was born. All was made right.

This year has been the hardest for me to get in the Christmas spirit. Every year, it seems to get more and more difficult, and as I thought about how much I missed feeling the "Christmas magic," I realized it's because as we get older and take on more responsiblities, we sometimes lose sight of why we do things in the first place. Now that I am an adult and I am responsible for buying presents as well as receiving them, my holiday has been filled with shopping and number crunching and party-planning and finger-crossing for a Christmas bonus. Not once have I looked at lights or sat and listened to Christmas carols or celebrated the true simplicity and beauty of what the holiday really means.

Tonight, I am reminded that Jesus truly is the reason for the season and my heart is beyond full of thankfulness for his birth and for his hand in my life. In the spirit of simple thanksgiving, I'm reminding myself of some of my favorite childhood traditions at Christmastime: drinking apple cider, looking at Christmas lights, eating fruitcake, watching the classics (Rudolph, Grinch, Frosty), singing carols, hearing the story of Jesus' birth and enjoying quality time with family that we can't seem to make time for in other seasons of the year.

Over the next couple of weeks, I hope I'll have a chance to cross a few of those things off my list this year and continue to seek the warmth and magic this season brought in years past. What is it that reminds you that this is Jesus' birthday party, not ours?

Merry Christmas season!

1 comment: